My Homemade Tomato Sauce Recipe
I’m going to commit an unpardonable sin by giving you my homemade tomato sauce recipe.
Here’s a list of what you need. And remember, simple is best.
- 2 cans (28oz) whole peeled San Marzano plum tomatoes. Very important to get San Marzano tomatoes. (Worth the extra cost)
- Make sure you crush the tomatoes by hand (or if you’re lazy, you can use a blender or food processor)
- 1/4 cup olive oil (Not Extra-Virgin)
- 1 finely diced white onion
- 3 stalks of finely diced celery
- 4 cloves of finely minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- A pinch of red pepper flakes (more if you want it extra spicy)
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste (Do not omit this!)
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- Water as needed
- Add the olive oil, white onion and celery into a pot and cook over medium low heat for about 10–15 mins. Do not brown the veggies, you want them to be clear and translucent.
- Once the veggies are done, add the garlic and cook for 1 min or 2. Very important not to burn the garlic!
- Then add the salt, sugar, dried italian herbs and red pepper flakes and toss it around. Let cook for 1 min or so.
- Add anchovy paste, white wine vinegar and tomato paste and give it a good mix. Cook for 1 min.
- Raise the temperature from medium low to medium high
- Add the hand-crushed Marzano plum tomatoes slowly and stir the entire mixture by using a wooden spoon.
- Once it starts to boil, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 1.5–2 hours. (The longer the better). Stirring every 10–15 mins or so.
If the sauce gets too thick, make sure you have a 1/2 cup of water every now and then.
This sauce can be quite chunky (thus the importance of finely chopping your veggies beforehand). However, you can still blend the final product to ensure the a smooth consistency.
Once the sauce is ready, simply add it to your cooked spaghetti or rigatoni and you’re done! Also don’t forget to garnish your dish with some basil and parmigiano reggiano cheese.